Have you ever looked at the back of your favorite skin care product and noticed there are a bunch of ingredients that you can barely pronounce? Since you can't pronounce these works it must make you wonder whether they are unhealthy or toxic. Well in all actuality, not all those scary words are bad; some of these scary sounding ingredients are actually beneficial for your skin.
Here is a little cheat sheet with a few of the more common skin care ingredients that are safe for you to use.
- Glycerin: This is one of the most popular humectants and you will find it in many products we use today. This humectant is able to pull water from the air and replenish it back into the skin. This process helps the outer layer of skin maintain its moisture so it can function properly, which is why it is such a useful ingredient.
- 1, 2 Hexanediol: This ingredient is a solvent with capabilities that hydrate the skin and provides long term moisture. It can help create a protective moisturizing film that softens and soothes the skin.
- Butylene Glycol: This chemical compound has multiple functions when it comes to skin care. It works as a humectant like glycerin. Butylene glycol also helps the active ingredients in a product penetrate the skin more effectively.
- Phenoxyethanol: A chemical preservative that is an alternative to parabens. It is also known to be a stabilizer in beauty products like sunscreens and moisturizers. It can also improve a product’s smell and help counter bacteria and mold growth.
- Aminomethyl Propanol: The main function of this ingredient is to adjust the PH balance in a product’s formula. This is important when it comes to skin care products because a product that has a good PH balance, which is similar to our own skin, will be tolerated and absorbed by the skin better.
We all want to keep our skin healthy and happy so it's important to be informed about what goes on our skin. That is why at Gloves In A Bottle we stick to our Ingredient Promise. Our products are 100% free from all parabens, phthalates, triclosan, sodium laurel sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), formadelhyde, toluene, propylene glycol, salicylates, gluten, latex, dairy, wheat, soy, peas, corn, animal products, animal testing, added fragrance, colorants, peanuts, and all other nuts.